Thank you for your interested in being a Team Leader for a Community Outreach Alternative Break.
APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN.
All applications are due at 12:00 PM (noon) on Wednesday, September 13th.
Please read the full job description below before applying.
Team Leaders are responsible for supporting their corresponding Trip Directors in the coordination and supervision of a designated Community Outreach Alternative Break trip. Alternative Break trips are student-run and promote service-learning through direct public service with regional, national and international communities to heighten social awareness, enhance personal growth and advocate lifelong social action.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
A. Program Management and Development (approximately 40% of the time)
- Assist Trip Directors to:
- Coordinate appropriate service projects for trip participants
- Locate and/or create appropriate educational materials and activities
- Organize and implement orientation, reflection, and reorientation
- Design logistical materials for the trip
- Communicate and meet regularly with Trip Directors
B. Volunteer Management (approximately 40% of the time)
- Assist Trip Directors to
- Train and support volunteer and work study participants
- Prepare participants through orientation and training workshops to achieve the trip objectives
- Provide ongoing monitoring and supervision of trip participants
- Communicate regularly with participants regarding scheduling, transportation, and trip activity planning
- Recognize participants for their contributions
- Facilitate reflection opportunities for participants prior to, during and after the trip
- Promote a positive volunteer environment for trip participants
- Ensure the needs of participants are met
C. Administration Tasks (approximately 25% of the time)
- Attend all related CO trip meetings, trainings, seminars, and workshops
- Represent CO at University classes, meetings, or events
- Organize and execute necessary fundraising activities as appropriate
- Perform other related duties and activities as needed
D. Program Participation (approximately 30% of the time)
- Team Leaders are expected to participate in their program on a regular basis
A. Minimum Qualifications:
- Strong interest and commitment to community service
- One semester or more of related experience in a leadership and/or supervisory position
- Ability to positively represent CO to the University and external community
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship, and partnership building skills
- Excellent oral and written communication abilities
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Demonstrated basic knowledge and skill in the use of personal computers and basic software programs such as Microsoft Office Word and Excel
- Ability to work independently, assess programmatic needs, and develop creative solutions
- A strong appreciation for, as well as a willingness to work with and support, demographically diverse and traditionally underrepresented and oppressed groups (e.g. race, cultural, gender, ability, and sexual orientation)
- Strong conflict resolution skills
- Willingness to work irregular and flexible hours including evenings and weekends
B. Preferred Qualifications
- Experience presenting to large groups
- At least one year experience with Alternative Breaks
- One year related experience in a leadership and/or supervisory position
- Excellent computer skills with an emphasis on Microsoft Office Word, Publisher, and Excel
- Attendance at all pre-trip and trip meetings as well as post trip reorientation
- Hours and meetings with trip directors as the need arises
- Maintain academic standing in accordance with the Department of Student Eligibility Policy (less than a 1.8 semester GPA for 1-23 credits or less than a 2.0 semester GPA or higher for 24+ credits
- Students who already hold leadership positions in Community Outreach are ineligible for a Team Leader Position.
In keeping with our commitment to build a culturally diverse community, the University of Connecticut invites applications from women, people with disabilities, and members of minority groups.
This application is now closed. Contact Ashley Hazleton at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns. If interested in participating in an Alternative Break Trip as a participant please apply!: http://communityoutreach.uconn.edu/alternative-break-application/