Give & Go is an annual program that helps collect unwanted items from students at the end of the school year and distributes them to local community organizations in need. The Give and Go program is run by Community Outreach and is a great and easy opportunity to earn last minute community service hours while also promoting sustainability and making moving out easier!
Volunteers are always needed to help plan the event, collect donations, organize donations, and more! Volunteers can help collect donations by watching over the donation tents at the end of the week, which involves nothing more than making sure they are not stolen and answering simple questions promoting the service event. Collection runs from Wednesday through Saturday of finals week (May 3rd-6th). If you are interested in this opportunity to earn volunteer hours please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or sign up online.
- May 3rd-6th, 2017 – Donation collection at various collection sites across campus!
- May 6th, 2017- Donation Drop Off and Organization at Ratcliffe Hicks Arena
- May 8th 2017- Donation Organization at Ratcliffe Hicks Arena (as well as throughout event); Community Partner Donation Pick Up
- May 9th, 2017- Community Partner Donation Drop Off, Pick Up, and Clean Up
Statistics of Waste
- The average American discards almost 7 pounds of trash per day.
- The amount of garbage production has doubled in the last thirty years.
- 80% of US products are used once and then thrown away if everyone recycled 1/10 of their newspapers we could save 25 million trees per year.
Goals of Give & Go:
- Reduce amount of waste to the week of campus move out
- To create involvement opportunities and streamline donations procedures for students
- To assist local non-profit agencies with the goods collected