Why Voting is Important
Voting is a large part of being a citizen of the United States. It is our responsibility in a system of checks and balances to voice our opinion in choosing the leaders of our nation. Without this duty, our futures would be held in a small number of hands. Voting is how we voice our opinions. With over 300 million individuals living in the United States, gathering a public opinion is next to impossible without voting. Voting can change the world in a substantial way. It is our responsibility to be a part of this change.
Unexpected Benefits of Voting
Steps to Vote
- Are you a UCONN student from out of state? You can vote here in Connecticut, in your home state, or by absentee ballot! Find a voter registration table on campus or go online at http://studentvote.org/
- Educate Yourself – Learn about the candidates as well as their policies and what they stand for. Most candidates have a campaign website that outlines their beliefs.
- Get Out There and Vote! – Tuesday, November 7, 2017 is Election Day so find your local polling center and make your mark on a local and national level!
Locations to Register
- Right here on campus! – Look out for registration tables happening this fall before the November election
- Department of Motor Vehicles – the closest DMV to the University of Connecticut is in Willimantic at 1557 Main Street
- Town Hall – the Mansfield Town Hall is just a walk away from campus and offers registration forms in the registrar’s office at 4 South Eagleville Road
- Online-Many states, including CT, have online registration. Click here for online registration
Important Dates and Deadlines
- The Connecticut deadline is November 1st for online and mailed applications. The application must be postmarked fourteen days before the election or received seven days before the election.
- Absentee ballots must be received by close of polls on November 7, 2017
- Same day registration can be done in the town in which you currently reside as well
- Deadlines are different for every state so make sure you know the voter registration deadline for your state. To find a list of deadlines for every state, visit this link: https://www.vote.org/voter-registration-deadlines/
Quick History of Voter Engagement
Voter Engagement Events
- Check back for upcoming events!
“Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education.”
-Franklin Delano Roosevelt