Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Q. Do I have to pay for my transportation?
A. There is no cost to volunteers who are participating in a Semester Long Program, Community Service Day or Special Project. Transportation for Alternative Break programs is included in your program fee. For other UConn departments or Student Organizations, please see rental information.

Q. Do I have to use CO transportation when participating in a CO program?
A. No, there are other options available such as carpooling, WRTD (Windham Region Transit District) or driving your personal vehicle. If driving your personal vehicle it is in your best interest to complete a Personal Vehicle Usage Agreement.

Q. Where will I get picked up for my volunteer service?
A. All of our vehicles will pick you up on Jim Calhoun Way next to People’s Bank at the UConn Bookstore. The driver will arrive at the same spot you were dropped off for your return trip.

Q. Is there an opportunity for employment with CO Transportation?
A. Yes, all open positions are posted on the student employment website. Please apply directly through the student employment website.

Q. What do I do if my ride does not show up? What if I’m running late?
A. In either situation, please contact the Transportation HOTline at 860-486-6511. If you reach our voicemail please use the option 2 of the call menu. This will transfer the call to an on-call manager who can assist you.

Q. Where can I get more information about CO Transportation?
A. We would be happy to provide you with additional information. Please contact us directly at or 860-486-6511. Other questions or comments feel free to contact us!

Q. Can I drive a CO van?
A. It depends. Yes, if you are a volunteer with a CO sponsored program or a staff/faculty member at UConn. You can drive a CO minivan after completing our training and Vehicle Usage Agreement form. CO Transportation will provide a driver for all student organizations.